Fullerton College

321 E. Chapman Ave Building 300
Fullerton, CA 92832   714-992-7032
Email Us Here:  

Program FAQs

What is an AS-T or AA-T Degree?

The Associate of Science Degree for Transfer (AS-T) and the Associate of Arts Degree for Transfer (AA-T) are degrees developed by the state of California to facilitate transferring to a four-year state university. Depending on the field, a student will earn either an AS-T or an AA-T degree.

What transfer degree does the Business Department offer?

The business degree is the AS-T, or Associate of Science for Transfer in Business Administration degree. The AS-T degree includes 60 units which are transferable to a California State University.  See a business counselor for further details.

Why would I consider this over the regular AA Degree?

The AS-T offers the fastest, most direct route to transfer to a four-year California state university.

CSUF has indicated that students with AS-T/AA-T degrees get preferential review of applications and also receive a slight bump in GPA when applying to the university.

NOTE:  CSUF accepts the AS-T for certain concentrations only.  Please be advised to check with a counselor to determine if your chosen focus area will be accepted by the CSU of your choice.

For those students who are applying to private or other universities (not part of the California State University system), a traditional AA may be the right option for you.  Students should check with a counselor to determine the best approach for him/herself.   PLEASE SEE your counselor to review your options.

California Community Colleges

The Student Transfer Achievement Reform (STAR) Act requires California Community Colleges (CCC) to develop and to grant associate degrees for Transfer AA-T or AS-T, with the following stipulations:

  • Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units of coursework that would be eligible for transfer to the California State University, including General Education:

  • Completion of least 18 units of coursework in a major or area of emphasis as defined by the CCC

  • Earn a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework

California State University

A California Community College student who has earned the Associates in Arts degree for Transfer (AA-T) or the Associate in Science degree for Transfer (AS-T) will be granted priority admission to the CSU into a similar baccalaureate (BA) degree program with a guarantee of junior standing as long as the student meets all prescribed admission requirements. Once admitted, the student will only be required to complete 60 additional prescribed units to qualify for the similar baccalaureate degree.

SB 1440 does not guarantee a student admission for a specified major or campus, but requires the California State University to grant a student priority admission consideration to the local CSU campus and to a program or major that is similar to the transfer AA degree as determined by the California State University.

From: California State University CCC-Associate Degree Transfer

See a business counselor for further details.  

Can I get both the AA and the AS-T or AA-T Degrees? 

Yes, you can. In fact, in many cases, it’s a matter of a couple of units and you will have the flexibility of having both degrees.

I’m planning to transfer to a four-year institution.  Do I need to get my Associate’s Degree?

No, you don’t NEED an associate’s degree to transfer to a four-year institution, but it makes sense to lock in the degree for the work you’ve completed.  Life sometimes gets complicated and school can take a back burner.  Locking in the associate’s degree is always a good idea, all it takes is some advance planning and paperwork to make your efforts officially documented.  See a counselor for details.

How do I earn a Certificate?

The Business and CIS Division offers a variety of Certificates in many areas of the Division. Once you've settled upon an area of choice, you can work toward achieving the Certificate by earning a "C" or better in each course. After completing all of the Certificate courses, you must fill out the Certificate Application and submit it in the Business and CIS Division Office in room 310. Students who are in their final semester of Paralegal Certificate courses can submit their Paralegal Certificate Application prior to the end of the semester.

More Questions?

Visit the Counseling Center’s Frequently Asked Questions or call the Counseling Center to ask for an appointment.  

Fullerton College Counseling Department Phone (714) 992-7084, ask for an appointment with a Business/CIS Division Counselor.

Business Division Counselors:

Olivia Barajas:  obarajas@fullcoll.edu

Cecelia Meisenhelder  cmeisenhelder@fullcoll.edu